Thursday, March 21, 2013

This week I have managed to get coroutines working properly in Garry's Mod. I am almost positive that no-one cares about coroutines but maybe that's because they've never worked properly?

The problem was that coroutines create a new lua_State. But my main Lua class stores the main Lua state and almost all of the bound engine functions use that state. So when you call them from a coroutine it uses the wrong state and the world explodes.

So I made it so that each bound function creates a LuaStateBlock class, which sets the state when its constructed but then sets it back when it's destructed. This worked great except for one huge thing. If you error out in a coroutine the world explodes.

This is because when you error in Lua it jumps to another point in code – and doesn't call the constructors! You can get around this by compiling it as c++ instead of c apparently. But I'm using LuaJIT and I didn't want to fuck shit up that much.

So my solution is to just never set the state back. Then any call to lua_call/lua_pcall I store the state before and restore it afterwards. Job done, coroutines work fine!

tl;dr; fixed something no-one cares about

More Rubbish

Your Portfolio Gave Me Diarrhea

Friday, October 1, 2021


Friday, September 24, 2021

We got married

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Unity Quiz

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Everything We Watched In Lockdown

Thursday, September 3, 2020


Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Writing a Wiki Bot

Monday, March 18, 2013

Oil your brain

Friday, March 15, 2013

Tax Investigation

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lua Bindings

Wednesday, March 13, 2013